As this academic year wraps up, so does another successful year in CUP’s partnership with CWA Canada.
This partnership aims to support you in building your skills as media workers, finding fair employment in the media and advocating for your rights as entry-level workers. If you’d like to take advantage of the partnership over the summer, here’s what you can do:
1) Sign up for a free CWA Canada Associate Membership, giving you access to paid freelancing opportunities, mentorships, training courses, contract advice, and more.
Then you can also,
2) Sign up for an online critique of your writing, design, photography or video work.
So what have we been up to this year?
We’ve set up:
- Workshops with professional journalists on social media, investigative reporting, interviewing skills and more at The Fulcrum, The Griff, The Concordian, The Cadre, The Silhouette, The Argosy and other campus papers.
- Day-long seminars on how to freelance, and workshops on your rights as workers and interns at CUP conferences.
- Newsroom tours for CUP members at CBC locations and local newsrooms.
- Nearly 50 students with mentors. Check out our full list of our mentors here.
- 6 students with paid freelancing opportunities. Some examples: Better now than it used to be: Freelancing in Canada – Tannara Yelland and ACJA Hosts Résumé Clinic for Young Aspiring Journalists – Elliot Chan
- We also established a steering committee of associate members from across Canada. We are working on a campaign to advocate for the rights of entry-level media workers.
- Check out our statement on the Ontario government’s move to stop illegal unpaid internships at magazines.
How our summer online critiques work:
- You will be paired with a professional working at CBC, Canadian Press, Thomson Reuters or a newspaper.
- Your mentor will then send you constructive feedback on 2 – 3 pieces of your work.
- You can also schedule a 20-30 minute phone call to go over their comments, ask questions and get further advice.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me by phone or email if you have any questions about the program!
CUP-CWA Canada Program Coordinator
email@example.com | 416-795-8598