Each year, CUP organizes a five-night national conference in January, affectionately referred to as NASH. Each region also has access to a subsidy that can be used to fund regional-specific events and conferences.
Conferences give student journalists the opportunity to meet with their peers, share skills, and participate in workshops and seminars hosted by professionals in the field. The national conference is also the cooperative’s annual general meeting, where members determine CUP’s direction and elect national staff.
CUP's annual summer staff training is now open to everyone! Click here for details. The conference occurs at the end of August and is focused at preparing CUP Bureau Chiefs and Editors for the year ahead.
Regional Conferences and Events
Each region within CUP has access to a regional subsidy that can be used toward region-sepecific conferences and events.
CUP is currently accepting bids for Spring 2014 regionals for WRCUP, PNCUP, CUPbeq and PUC. For information on bidding for Spring 2014 regionals, contact email@example.com.
The National Conference
CUP’s 76th “NASH,” was held January 8–12, 2014 in Edmonton, AB and was hosted by The Gateway. Speakers included Robyn Doolittle (The Toronto Star), Mark Coatney (Al Jazeera), Chris Jones (Esquire and ESPN), Aliya-Jasmine Sovani (MTV) and Ezra Levant (Sun Media). The conference featured a gala event for the John H. McDonald Journalism Awards 10th anniversary. Next year’s conference will be held in Ottawa and hosted by The Fulcrum.
CUP has a travel pool designed to ensure that at least one representative can come to the national conference from all member papers. Each member who pays into the pool receives reimbursement for one delegate’s travel. But with the line-up of seminars, job opportunities, CUP’s Annual General Meeting, and incredible speakers, you’ll want to send more than one staff member to this year’s NASH.
Past NASH Hosts
Every year since its inception, CUP has held a national conference. The conference moves around the country and serves as the annual general meeting of the organization. It also features a number of training seminars and high-profile keynote speakers. The New Year’s Eve parties were sometimes raucous events, as the new year was rung in five times to mark each of the nation’s time zones. The extinguishing of a motel fire put a damper on the party in North Bay, Ontario on the last day of 1983.
- CUP 76 - Jan. 8-12, 2014 in Edmonton, AB hosted by The Gateway
- CUP 75 - Jan. 9-13, 2013 in Toronto, ON hosted by Canadian University Press
- CUP 74 - Jan. 11-15, 2012 in Victoria, BC hosted by the Martlet and Nexus
- CUP 73 - Jan. 12-16, 2011 in Montreal, QC hosted by McGill Daily and le Délit
- CUP 72 - Jan. 14-18, 2010 in Edmonton, AB hosted by the Gateway
- CUP 71 - Jan. 7-11, 2009 in Saskatoon, Sask. hosted by the Sheaf
- CUP 70 - Jan. 17-22, 2008 in Ottawa, ON hosted by the Fulcrum
- CUP 69 - Jan. 18-23, 2007 in Vancouver, BC hosted by the Capilano Courier at the Coast Plaza Hotel
- CUP 68 - January 2006 in Toronto, ON hosted by Excalibur at the Holiday Inn on King
- CUP 67 - January 2005 in Edmonton, AB hosted by The Gateway at the Crowne Plaza Chateau Lacombe
- CUP 66 - January 2004 in St. John’s, NL hosted by The Muse at the Fairmont Newfoundland Hotel
- CUP 65 - January 2003 in Montreal, QC hosted by the McGill Daily/the Link at the Crowne Plaza Montreal Centre
- CUP 64 - January 2002 in Ottawa, Ont. hosted by the Fulcrum at the Crowne Plaza Ottawa Hotel
- CUP 63 - January 2001 in Richmond, B.C. hosted by the Peak
- CUP 62 - January 2000 in Winnipeg, Man. hosted by the Manitoban
- CUP 61 - December 1998/January 1999 in Guelph, Ont.
- CUP 60 - December 1997/January 1998 in Halifax, N.S.
- CUP 59 - December 1996/January 1997 in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 58 - December 1995/January 1996 in Victoria, B.C.
- CUP 57 - December 1994/January 1995 in Windsor, Ontario
- CUP 56 - December 1993/January 1994 in Regina, Sask. hosted by the Carillon at the Delta Hotel
- CUP 55 - December 1992/January 1993 in Montreal, Que. hosted by the CUPbeq papers at the Delta Hotel
- CUP 54 - December 1991/January 1992 in Ottawa, Ont.
- CUP 53 - Dec. 27, 1990-Jan. 3, 1991 in Abbotsford, B.C.
- CUP 52 - December 1989/January 1990 in Waterloo, Ont.
- CUP 51 - December 1988/January 1989 in Chester, N.S.
- CUP 50 - December 1987/January 1988 in Winnipeg, Man.
- CUP 49 - December 1986/January 1987 in North Bay, Ont.
- CUP 48 - December 1985/January 1986 in Abbotsford, B.C.
- CUP 47 - December 1984/January 1985 in Chester, N.S.
- CUP 46 - December 1983/January 1984 in North Bay, Ont.
- CUP 45 - December 1982/January 1983 in Ottawa, Ont.
- CUP 44 - December 1981/January 1982 in Bolton, Ont.
- CUP 43 - December 1980/January 1981 in Val Morin, Que.
- CUP 42 - December 1979/January 1980 at the Westbury Hotel in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 41 - December 1978/January 1979 at the Edmonton Plaza in Edmonton, Alta.
- CUP 40 - Dec. 26, 1977-Jan. 2, 1978 at the Lord Nelson Hotel in Halifax, N.S.
- CUP 39.5 - Spring 1977 Emergency national conference in Ottawa, Ont.
- CUP 39 - Dec. 26, 1976-Jan. 2, 1977 at the Sheraton Plaza 500 in Vancouver, B.C.
- CUP 38 - December 1975/January 1976 in Montreal, Que.
- CUP 37 - December 1974/January 1975 in Saskatoon, Sask.
- CUP 35 - December 1972/January 1973 in Winnipeg, Man.
- CUP 34 - December 1971 in Wolfville, N.S.
- CUP 32 - December 1969 at Naramata, B.C.
- CUP 31 - Dec. 26-31, 1968 at the Westbury Hotel in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 30 - December 1967 at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C.
- CUP 29 - Dec. 27-30, 1966 at Sir George Williams University in Montreal, Que.
- CUP 28 - Dec. 27-30, 1965 in Calgary, Alta.
- CUP 27 - Dec. 28-30, 1964 at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont.
- CUP 26 - Dec. 26-30, 1963 at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver and Victoria College in Victoria, B.C.
- CUP 25 - Dec. 26-30, 1962 at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ont.
- CUP 24 - Dec. 26-29, 1961 at Ryerson Institute of Technology in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 23 - December 1960 at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont.
- CUP 22 - December 1959 in Quebec City, Que.
- CUP 21 - Dec. 29-31, 1958 in Winnipeg, Man.
- CUP 20 - December 1957 in Montreal, Que.
- CUP 19 - Dec. 27-29, 1956 at Hart House, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 18 - Dec. 28-30, 1955 at the Universite de Laval in Quebec City, Que.
- CUP 17 - Dec. 28-30, 1954 in Ottawa, Ont.
- CUP 16 - December 1953 at the University of Toronto in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 15 - December 1952 in Montreal, Que.
- CUP 14 - Dec. 27-29, 1951 at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont.
- CUP 12 - December 1949 in Montreal, Que.
- CUP 11 - Dec. 29-31, 1948 in Quebec City, Que.
- CUP 10 - December 1947 at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont.
- CUP 9 - Dec. 21-23, 1946 in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 8 - Dec. 21-23, 1945 at the University of Western Ontario in London, Ont.
- CUP 7 - Dec. 27-29, 1944 in Montreal, Que.
- CUP 6 - December 1943 at the University of Toronto in Toronto, Ont.
- CUP 1 - Dec. 28-31, 1937 at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Man.
Visit cupnash.ca for more information on CUP's annual national conference.