By writing or recording a story about the European Union or EU-Canada relations, you could win a week-long study tour of EU institutions in Brussels, the opportunity to meet the Brussels press corps — the largest permanent press corps in the world, and an invitation to an awards ceremony in Ottawa attended by senior government officials, the diplomatic corps and journalists.
The work may be either a news story or opinion piece max. 1,000 words or an audiovisual report up to 90 seconds in length.
Submissions should be prepared with a Canadian audience in mind in French or English.
In addition to the submission, applications must comprise of:
- The student’s résumé (curriculum vitae)
- A letter of motivation clearly outlining the reasons for applying and the anticipated benefits to be derived from participation in the study trip, with particular reference to the student’s future career objectives
- Official administrative document issued by the university or college, verifying student status and enrolment
- Letter of reference
- Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to Melina.Chimal-Pilon@eeas.europa.eu or by mail to:
Delegation of the European Union to Canada Ms. Mélina Chimal Pilon
Ref.: EU-Canada Young Journalist Award
150 Metcalfe Street, Suite 1900 Ottawa, Ontario K2P 1P1
For audio-visual entries (CD, DVD, USB), please submit six copies by mail with the application, so that they can be distributed to the members of the jury.
In order to be eligible, students must be:
- Actively enrolled in a Canadian university or a post-secondary institution
- Between the ages 18-30
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Canadian students are invited to submit a news report or opinion piece on a current issue facing the European Union or EU-Canada relations in the form of a piece that could be published or broadcast in the Canadian media. The closing date for applications is Friday, January 31, 2014 (postmark).
This opportunity is brought to you by the Delegation of the European Union to Canada. For more information, visit http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/canada/outreach/young_journalist_award/index_en.htm.