Donate to CUP
The Canadian University Press (CUP) is reaching out to CUP alumni, friends and future partners to help us expand our capacity to foster first-rate student journalism by supporting the Give a Cup fundraising campaign.
Just a small one-time or monthly donation could make all the difference to CUP’s future and support student journalists and our annual professional development conference which is the gateway to student success.
CUP is making progress recovering from a severe financial crisis that threatened our future, and we need your help to cement CUP’s viability as an employer for young journalists, a source of valuable resources and to bring together professional mentors at our popular annual conference.
- With just $210/month – or $2,500 a year - we can rehire one national or regional student journalist to report on student and youth related issues across the country and provide original high-quality content to the CUPwire.ca for republication by our members on Canadian campuses.
- With $2,500/month, we can fund CUP’s national conference. Affectionately known as NASH, the conference is the biggest student journalism event in Canada with an average of 300 delegates. The five-day training event featuring Canada’s best-known professional journalists costs $30,000 a year to coordinate and host, and teaches up-and-comers about industry practices and allows them to make professional and peer-to-peer connections they will take with them throughout their careers.
Perhaps you are a former CUPpie wanting to give something back, or perhaps you are an organization that recognizes the importance of journalism to the health of our democratic society. Whatever your reasons for supporting student journalism, please consider the following options:
A monthly payment and reward plan:
For a contribution of:
- $1/month – A tweet saying thank you and access to regular email updates about CUP.
- $4/month – All of the above, plus your name on our website donor list and a big, loving thank you at Nash.
- $7/month – All of the above plus a chance to submit one joke motion at the coming plenary in January.
- $15+/month – All of the above plus a surprise special gift from the CUP archives.
- $40+/month – All of the above plus the National Executive will make every reasonable effort to your CUP wish come true. For example, would you like us to find and print an historic Nash shirt? Attempt to arrange dinner with any CUP alumni or current staffer? Have a free passport to any CUP event?
Or, make a one-time donation of any amount.